[at-l] recycled comments about "purity"

Some of the topics on this list become so common, and predictable, that I t=
hink we should just start numbering them and our own specific responses.  I=
n that vein, I'll just copy and paste my last, and of course, definitively =
correct, response on the topic of "thru-hiking purity".  (I didn't copy Cla=
rk's list that I refer to, but he can do that if he wishes.)

I appreciate Clark's list of "purity" questions, and the other comments tha=
t have been made on the subject. I have, myself, contemplated several of th=
ose questions regarding my own definition of what I wanted my hike to be. I=
 agree that it develops with the miles. For instance, I took the USFS 42 ap=
proach to Springer and, without even knowing what the term meant at the tim=
e, "slackpacked" the .9 mile from the parking lot up to Springer and back d=
own before I got my pack out of the back of my cousin's car.

I was also two shelters beyond Duncannon before I learned that I had missed=
 the jog back north for a block down "main" street.

This year from July 15 - Aug. 4, from Port Clinton to Great Barrington, MA,=
 I only met about 5 hikers who had not done some intentional slackpacking. =
In fact, I was out of Pennsylvania before I even met a hiker who was not sl=
ackpacking. Some had even yellow blazed significant portions of the trail, =
but were still calling themselves "thru" hikers. In NY there were at least =
5 who yellow blazed ahead to Graymoor Friary just to get the free meal from=
 the monks. Most of them then went back and slackpacked from the Hudson Riv=
er to the friary the next morning. I thought it was interesting that the me=
n in the drug rehab program there called them "cheaters" for not carrying t=
heir packs with them. Not my term, mind you, but it does point out how othe=
r people are looking at the claims you make for what you have done.

My philosophy is to be honest, to hike your own hike, and to remain true to=
 yourself. I personally (since Springer) carry my pack the whole way, and t=
ry to hike every foot of the trail as best I can figure it out at the time.=
 I tell people I'm a long distance section hiker when people ask the questi=
on if I'm a thru-hiker, and I've so far managed to turn down the opportunit=
ies to slackpack and yellow blaze. I'm the first to jump into the back of a=
 pickup, however, if someone wants to give me a lift for a hundred yards of=
f the trail, and if someone is at a road/trail crossing with free goodies, =
then stand back and clear the way for me to load up. I'm never one to deny =
a trail angel the opportunity to practice their ministry.

In a lighter note, when the slackpacker at Graymoor was called a "cheater" =
by one of the rehab patients he replied, "They don't give the patch to your=
 pack when you finish". The this I smart-alecky replied, "So I guess you're=
 going to sew in on your forehead when you get it." In all seriousness, how=
ever, I believe you should HYOH, and then be honest about it.