From: <KarenS62@aol.com>
To: ""Bob C."" <ellen@clinic.net>; <greyowl@rcn.com>
Cc: <at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 12:39 PM
Subject: Re: [at-l] Why off topic, SUV's

In a message dated 1/7/2003 11:30:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ellen@clinic.net writes:

> http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=14839

Okay, I've been good and have stayed out of the flame wars for weeks now, if
not months. So I figure I have earned this right to comment. I am not trying
to start a flame war, but there is one line in that article which really,
truly pissed me off.

"Sport utility vehicles have become like guns: Everyone knows they're
dangerous, but you can't exactly force millions of Americans to give them up
overnight. "

It's general comments like this that make me question everything the author
has to say. Guns are NOT dangerous, it's the people who misuse them
(typically illegal owners) that are dangerous. Just like a gun, if an
irresponsible driver is driving an SUV then yes, it is dangerous. I have
seen plenty of drivers who think just because they have four-wheel drive,
they can speed on ice. Well, that just means there's 4 wheels slipping. But
suddenly, it is that the fault of the vehicle. It's so typical that the tool
gets blamed for the human operating it.

Personally, I own both a SUV and guns. I am responsible in my use of both
and am well versed in the appropriate safety measures of their operation. I
get as good, and sometimes better, gas milage out of my current vehicle than
I have from my past four which include a Suzuki Sidekick (which is that
class of mini-suvs that even the DMV doesn't know how to classify), a four
door Subaru Legacy sedan and a Jeep CJ7.  I often follow old cars (and the
mini-vans the author thinks are the solution to everything) around this
little city of mine who are spewing so many fumes you can see and smell them
a half mile away. My vehicle is in good repair and runs efficiently.

Now, do I really "need" an SUV?  That could be debatable. I probably don't
even "need" a vehicle, but it is a tool that allows me to accomplish what I
feel is important to me.  Have I used it to it's full extent? Oh yeah. I can
transport five hikers, with packs, and have. I can sleep in the back, and
have. I have needed and used my four wheel drive five times in the last
month, including bringing two very chilled hikers from Max Patch to their
own vehicle which they had to abandon three miles down the road. Having the
security of a relaible vehicle with four wheel drive allows me the freedom
to access some of my favorite hiking areas in all seasons.  Anything that
contributes to my ability to get out in the woods is a good thing in my
book.

The real issue here is that there is an abundance of idiots in the world -
SUVs or not. In my teens, I remember being a passenger going 108 MPH over a
long, wet high bridge crossing the Thames River on I95 and swerving from
lane to lane. Were we in an SUV? Nope, we were in a Mercury sedan. There is
no doubt we were being idiots, but that had nothing to do with what specific
vehicle we were in, it had to do with being 16.

Our society tends to blame the "tool" instead of the human using the tool.
This holds true for SUVs, guns, cell phones and even eating while driving.

I'm stepping off my soap box.

POG