[at-l] Genuine Thru Hikes---a Last Comment

> > It wouldn't occur to me to ask anyone if they
> > thru-hiked the AT, only if they walked the whole way
> > from Springer to Katahdin.

> Now, why would you ask someone that?  Is it because the AT
> runs between the two?

Generally, within my circle of hiking buddies, the conversation would go
like this:

"Yep.  In '92 I hiked the AT."

"Oh.  Did you do the whole thing from Springer to Katahdin?"

"Nah, I bypassed SMNP because I had hiked it the year before."

> Would you ask someone if they walked from Chattanooga
> to Chicago? I doubt it.

Depends on the context.

"Yep.  In '92 I went from Chattanooga to Chicago."

"Train, plane, or on foot?"

"On foot mostly.  Couldn't resist the Chattanooga choo-choo..."

> The AT is a real, definite physical thing.

Can't disagree with that, although the AT you hiked and the AT folks will
hike this year isn't the same trail.

Shane