Over packing (was) RE: [at-l] Danger of Heavy Backpacks Not to Back

Many well educated people of several generations ago carried a simple slate,
a thin book, and a cold biscuit with meat (if they had it) or a veggie
slice.  And they carried it with a thin, short strap around their "load".
Today it seems like education is designed so that the number and size of
"required" books is the straw that breaks the child's back.

Admittedly I work at a community college, but one of the college's
bookstore's biggest sellers is the "backpack" with wheels (like trail-along
luggage).

Bet that kind of attitude, that when they go backpacking for the first time,
turns out lots of overpackers: "Hey Maudie did you pack the remote, or am I
going to have to turn the knob myself?"

William, The "Kitchen Sink Bookbag" Turtle

PS  Limiting it to one item: Which item is the item you cannot leave behind
and which is the item you would (or did) ditch first?  My first item was one
of those handy, oversized candles with floating wicks (1 to 3) that you
could use for light or to heat water; I left it at a shelter.  My PRACTICAL
COGITATOR (sp?) was one that made it all the way with me on my first LD
hike.