Re[2]: [at-l] Genuine Thru Hikes---a Last Comment

> >"...Why is this important?" asks Shane.
>
> This is a most profound question. It's a question that
> has been asked by philosophers over the millennia. What
> is the nature and importance of truth in human affairs?

I certainly didn't mean to be profound...  I was merely curious as to why
the question of 'what is a thru-hike' gets so much play.

It seems to be very particular to the AT.  For a time, I hiked the CDT.  I
didn't do the whole thing, even if I did most of it, and I don't claim to be
a CDT thru-hiker.  In all honesty, about half the time I had no idea where
the trail was even if I was close to it...  To the question, "Did you hike
the CDT?", my answer would be yes, because at some point I covered all the
territory that the CDT covers, and I would consider that an honest answer.
Nobody has ever asked me if I thru-hiked it...

It wouldn't occur to me to ask anyone if they thru-hiked the AT, only if
they walked the whole way from Springer to Kathadin.

Shane