[at-l] Genuine Thru Hikes---a Last Comment

--
In a message dated 1/6/2003 11:12:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
yumitori@montana.com writes:

> >I have already admitted that the whole idea of thruhiking is somewhat
> alien
> >to me, but after seeing so much on this particular subject, I have a
> >question.
> >
> >Why is this important?

It's not really. HYOH.

> >Shane
>
>   Well, to a lot of folks it's not.

OK....

>   But I can see why some think it is. If they put blood, sweat and tears
> into doing something the correct way, and someone else comes along and
> essentially lies about /their/ efforts and gets the same reward, it can
> be seen to cheapen the whole thing.

OK... So why do they feel they have to try to convince everyone else that
they are right... Good for them.. Believe what they want.. HYOH.
They know what they did, how they did it... The others who did it in a
"lesser?"
manner probably don't care what they think. At least not enough to read it
over
& over & over again.

>   Not to create another flame maelstrom, but consider if Bryson had
> claimed he was qualified for a 2,000 miler certificate. He closes his
> book by saying, essentially, that he had hiked the Trail, when what he
> did was get off after a time and then hike select portions further up
> the line. I'm sure he had a good time, and he even walked over some of
> the more well known bits, but he wasn't a thru-hiker. What would it mean
> were he to apply and the ATC were to grant him the certificate?

Seems a bit forced... It's a book... It's humorous.. He's not a Thru hiker...
So
what is the point here?  Too many what ifs...

>   I could see where that would bother folks whose summer was spent in a
> more 'pure' manner.

I understand.. But they'll get over it... Life isn't always fair.

Russ (hotdog - Class of 2003)
<A HREF="www.trailjournals.com">www.trailjournals.com</A>