[at-l] Genuine Thru Hikes---a Last Comment

>"...And this talk of blue-blazes, and scenic side trails; this talk of the old
>A.T., or the trail corridor; this talk of there being a "system of trails" is
>really nonsense," reports Baltimore Jack, who is certainly the most
>knowledgeable person dealing with the trail that I know.

However, no one's perfect. I have 21 maintainers on the section of the
Appalachian Trail that I oversee, my 60 miles of the 100-mile-wilderness. 15 or
20 percent of them are assigned side trails, the majority of which are side
trails that truly augment the hiker's experience, places like Gulf Hagas.

Talk of a "system of trails," may be nonsense, but I truly don't know what else
to call it.

I happen to think that hikers who add an extra seven miles to their walk to do
the Gulf Hagas loop have achieved a super thru hike, even if in the process and
in the need to reach Katahdin on a deadline they miss a mile of white blazes.

I suspect the guys who drafted the rules agree. I just wish they would modify
the rules to reflect logic and reality.

Weary