[at-l] Second from the last...on the left

MORE FELIX!!!

Dawg

-----Original Message-----
From: at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Felix
Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2003 11:06 AM
To: AT-list
Subject: [at-l] Second from the last...on the left

We're gettin' there. Two more days is all ya have to put up
with...and, this one is nearly done already. So, without
further add you:

4 years ago this morning brought me the most excruciating
pain of my 5 month journey. I had left my boots out over
night. They were frozen. They were frozen. It took 12
minutes to put them on. Then, there was the trip to the
privy (yes, the stainless-steel-seated privy). It was about
16 minutes of physical inactivity (not in the privy, mind
ya). My feet were frozen. It took over an hour to get the
circulation going enough to warm my feet again. They
hurt so badly that my stomach hurt. Somewhere in that first
mile and a half, I passed Tank. He was definitely
struggling. He said that I was right about a lot of the
weight he was carrying. I told him to make it to Neel's and
have Jeff go through it. I hiked most of the day
leapfrogging with QP and WB. I liked them and liked having
someone around for a change. Especially someone who was
excited about the same thing that I was excited about.

We spent the night, 4 years ago tonight, together at a
fridged Hawk Mt. Shelter. Again, it was 5=BA or less. This
time, my boots were in my bag. (Footnote: QP's pee bottle
from Woodshole S. froze and he had to carry a bottle of
frozen urine all day. We laffed. Well, not QP) Something I
shant forget about that night at Hawk Mt. is this: The
Tennessee Volunteers were playing for the national
championship. QP and WB are from the Knoxville area. The
both had walkmans and were listening to the game. QP's radio
wouldn't pick it up. So, WB broke his headphones and gave
one earpiece to QP. They snuggled up together and cheered as
I slept, dreaming of the next day...(actually, I was
dreaming of coeds in cotton...)  (I'm not gonna lie to
ya...I have no idea what I was dreaming of if I was dreaming
at all.)

Was this long enuff? I could add more...

(One more day....)

--
Felix Navidad
ME-->GA '98