[at-l] More re What's a Pure Thru-hike?

>>Even though everyone sees and defines the thru-hike concept a bit
>differently, most of us humans crave some sense of common ground and
>connection with our fellow hikers,

Good points all.

While Jack was kind enough to share his observations with us, what I really
wanted to hear was not that a significant percentage of the people who now
list themselves as 2000 Milers may not live up to the current ATC definition
or the purists', but rather that almost everyone who lists themself as a
2000 Miler hiked virtually the whole way from ME to GA without hitching
around sections.

Lets make that much clear.

Basically I just wanted confirmation that observations made by WF and others
are all about loops in and out of campsites, the side of the road one
resumes his hike on after a hitch, whether one got from point A to point B
via white or blue blazes and that kind of stuff.

If the reality is that a significant number of people are registering with
the ATC who have actually skipped over large sections of the Trail, then the
ATC should wash it hands of the 2000 Miler Award and end it.

But thats not the case, right?  Jack would agree that very, very few who
register with the ATC have hitched around sections of Trail, right?

RIck B