[at-l] Genuineness of Contemporary Thru-hikes

My other post really already says this, but I feel the urge to say it
again a bit differently in the context of BJ's post.  I am getting old
enough to where I tend to agree with Jack that the past 7 years have
witnessed a lot more people willing to be "looser" with their definition
of a complete AT thru-hike - and, like Jack, somehow that bothers me a
little bit.  BUT - and it is a big BUT, I like to think that I am honest
and open enough to recognize that even the hardiest, grittiest, purest
thruhiker from the 1940's, 1950's, 1960's, 1970's 1980's or early 1990's
simply did NOT walk every step of the actual, official AT trailbed as it
existed on the day they were at a particular point.  There simply is no
way to actually accomplish that in the purest, literal sense of the
word.  So, in the end, we are down to arguing over trends and degrees of
gray.  I think Jack's definition of a complete thru-hike would be close
to this, which is my own definition:  You hike the white blazes the
entire way, only deviating for very short distances around downed trees
and washed out sections, with the deviation as short as physically
possible.  If you are hiking NOBO and take the southern blue blaze
entrance to a shelter located 5 tenths off the Trail, you return to the
Trail via that same blue blaze [as opposed to taking the northern exit
out and thereby missing up to a mile of actual, white blazed Trail]; and
if you hitch into town, you get a return ride to the same spot you got
off, not the next road crossing up the way.  But, again, I close with
the same dose of humility - even if you do all of the above, you have
not hiked every step of the AT - nobody has and nobody ever will.

The final moral to me is this:  Even though I firmly believe nobody can
hike it all, and thus we humans are left yo wrestle with varying shades
of gray, that does not excuse us from the wrestling process, and from
being as true as we can with ourselves and each other.  The first and
most important rule is to hike your own hike.  My second rule is to
recognize that your own definition of what kind of "thru-hike" you want
to hike may change over time and with new experiences.  My third rule is
that whatever kind of hike you actually hike, your truest test of
personal character is to thereafter be honest with yourself and others
about just what kind of hike you did - and if you blue-blazed a section
somewhere, then don't go to Trail Days or Rucks or your grandmothers
house and tell everyone that you hiked the complete AT - in the end, you
know what you did and did not do, and that ought to be good enough to
tell others, too!  One of the greatest temptations in society today is
to want to tell others about something you did in one, pithy, often
self-serving phrase - well, truth be known, life is simply not lived in
one-sentence "I hiked the entire AT" sound bites . . . while it is
sometimes harder to do, thinking of more meaningful ways to talk about
your experiences is a good test in personal responsibility in and of
itself .

thru-thinker