[at-l] Top 10 things I learned about hiking last year

Did some hiking over the holidays. Didn't make it to
the mountains, but had a ball.  In lieu of trip
report, thought I'd share. I'm enjoying continuing to
acquire a base level of gear and *experiment* (hike!)
:-)

	Top 10 things I learned about hiking last year

10. It's still easy to turn my ankle when using poles.
Don't get cocky.
9. Don't look ahead and get overwhelmed at having to
climb this stretch or that mountain; I just have to
take one step.
8. If what's ahead is demoralizing, look down at the
next few feet of trail instead of ahead.
7. Look to the top of the climb, and adjust my pace
now to what I'll be able to do when I get there. Then
stick to it. It stretches my enjoyment and my range.
6.  Don't use the knee extension machine at the gym;
it causes premature degeneration behind the kneecaps.
5. My knees are hydraulic systems; protect them by
starting slowly each time, and keep them covered in
cool temps.
4. Never skip dinner; it makes the next day hard and
breakfast can't make up for it.
3. Put on another layer as soon as I stop even if I'm
not cold, and, dry clothes are much warmer if I strip
first.
2. It takes more time and energy to get warm than to
stay warm.
1. The more stuff I put in my pack, the less I'll
enjoy my hike.

It was a good year.  Not enough hiking, but a very
good year.

Delita <-- 98% probability will attend PA ruck

Delita Wright
Chapel Hill, NC