Re[2]: [at-l] Story about 'Jagged' who summited 10/6

--
Hi Rick,

I'm not about to put any numbers on the percentage of people that didn't
actually hike the whole trail.  The reason being I have no idea if some of
these people either hadn't hiked sections before or made them up later.  A
blanket statement is pure supposition.

Of course, there are probably people that haven't hiked the entire trail, but
claimed to, and sent in for their 2000 miler patch.  I don't really care
either.  What they do is their business and doesn't affect my hike.  One of
the main beefs I heard on the other list was yellower blazers taking up
shelter space as though purist had a lock on the accommodations.  That's
tough cookies, as the shelters are first come first serve.  For some inane
reason, missing sections of trail is called cheating.  Give me a break.  At
the most, I see it as lost opportunity.

There was one guy on the CDT this year that sprang ahead and finished first,
ahead of everyone else and most felt he had to be yellow blazing.  After very
little analysis, I determined that all this hiker had to do is average 3 more
miles a day then our group, which was very doable.  I wasn't about to
confront the hiker and tell him he cheated.

Sly