[at-l] "...and, the wind cries "Gary"

"I'll just have coffee, thank you."

Hmmm, four years go yesterday...right? It was raining or
sleeting most of the day. I had to get on my hands and knees
and crawl across the summit of some rocky mountain (Tray
Mountain?). I believe I was in Sassafras Gap
when I took this picture
(http://Felixhikes.tripod.com/AT/frozface.jpg) My eyelashes
were covered in ice.  I trudged on in the muck (can 'muck'
be frozen? I don't think so). I got to Unicoi Gap and was
glad to find my buddy Pittsburgh there. I wasn't certain he
would be there. We went to Helen for more showers and pizza.

The next day (four years ago today, and the 56th anniversary
of my dad bein' born) was just cold and no rain. I cruised
along pretty good. I stopped at Blue Mt. Shelter and talked
to three kids from Alabama. I said "Ain't 'Got You Where I
Want You' a great song?" One of the kids said "Hey, I saw
them in concert New Year's Eve." I thought that was cool.
The more we talked, the more I found out about them. I
actually have met their grandmother. She lives in
Bloomington. Small world, of course.

I hiked on. When I got to Hogpen Gap parking lot, a man
there asked me if I was 'going camping'. I said "Yup. Couple
more days anyway." The Trail was covered in chunks of ice
for several miles through this stretch. As I neared the top
of Cowrock Mt., I met a girl that was planning a northbound
thru-hike for '99. She was on the 'list', I think. Her name
was Luna, or some such.  Shortly after that I had this
picture taken on Cowrock Mtn
http://Felixhikes.tripod.com/AT/cowrock.jpg) It was about
5:05 when I got to Neel's Gap. The store was closed. I
looked in and somebody came over and opened the door. There
were three people inside counting money and prepping the
store for closing. They let me warm up and drink coffee. It
was FREEZING out. They gave me a can of pop. I started up
Blood Mt. right at dusk. There were people, and fires, all
over the rocky summit of Blood Mt. I was listening to the
Packers/Niners game and the radio and didn't even stop at
the shelter. Did I mention that it was cold?

I got to the shelter turn-off for Woodshole. I almost passed
it because there wasn't a sign for southbounders >:-|   I
walked for what seemed like miles down the blue-blaze. I
stopped two times and nearly turned around.  When I got to
the shelter, I was amazed to find two other bodies inside.
One was awake. We talked a bit as I was setting up for the
night. Did I mention it was freezing? I asked if they were
just out for the weekend. The guy I was talking to said
"Naaah. We're thruhikers." "Northbounders?" I asked. "No."
"Who the hell are you?" I asked, thinking that all the
southbounders ahead of me were long gone.
"I'm QP. That's Windbraker."
"No F***ing way!!! I've been following you guys for 5
months." We had a nice chat that night. I felt like they
were my long-lost brothers. (I knew that they weren't,
however, because my long-lost brothers are both in prison)
It got down to 5=BA or less that night. 5=BA is cold.  And, it
was...

--
Felix Navidad
ME-->GA '98