[at-l] PA Ruck Food Version #2 (long)

--
Back by popular request, here are the beginnings of the PA Ruck food list.
It's being cross posted to at-l, bpl and the womenhikers list. If you want to
bring something, email me OFFLIST at karens62@aol.com with the subject line
RUCK FOOD.  If you don't do this, I run a high risk of missing your reply.

The plan continues to be a Spaghetti dinner for Friday night (approximately
6:30 or 7 pm) with both meat and veggie sauces. Last year, it was identified
that many bottled veggie sauces had meat byproducts so they will both be
homemade with and without meat (as appropriate).

We need garlic bread and grated cheese for Friday night. I think four to five
loaves of bread would do it and four jars of cheese.  They both really need
to be there by 4:30 or so on Friday so if you are arriving late, this might
not be a good choice for you.  If you can contribute part of this, let me
know.

And, what you have all been waiting for....

We will again have a Pot Luck supper Saturday night.  You know how it works.
Everyone brings a something to share and we all eat well.  At Springer on New
Years Eve, in an attempt to convince the SOBOs just finishing that they
should join us, one past thruhiker exclaimed,  "The food is the BEST part of
the Ruck!"  We know there are Rucksters who can only boil water so there are
also non-food needs that you can kick in on to do your part.  The hostel has
some utensils, but not enough to go around. Without Twilight and Mags to be
fork nazis this year, it would be helpful if you brought your own coffee
mugs, soup bowls, plates, spoons and forks.

Also, you might want to bring a serving spoon and bowl for whatever you bring
to the Potluck.  We didn't run short last year but only because people
brought them from home. Label them with your name.  And remember there is
very limited fridge space so pack your goodies in a cooler or in some way
that will be safe outside overnite. Ok, that's it for the culinary
challenged.

 If you can cook, please remember there is only one oven, and worse yet, only
one rack in that oven.  The ham and the turkey will be baked ahead of time so
that frees up the oven but still that means only room for two or three
largish pan/casseroles.   So try for things that you can bring in a crock-pot
or salads or things that don't take much oven time.  If you have an extra
crock-pot, speak up because someone might want to borrow it. I have gotten a
few crock-pot offers so if you need one, speak up about that too.  Please do
as much prep at home as possible (slicing and dicing). If your dish is best
eaten from a bowl, bring paper bowls so no one has to do a lot of dishes.

How much should I bring?

We don't have firm numbers but if the last two years are any indication, we
will be 100+ for the potluck.  Obviously, no one is expected to bring enough
of anything to serve 100.  Bring what you are comfortable bringing.  Last
year, the end of the supper line did find the pickens a bit slimmer, but I
don't think anyone went hungry. Ethnic noodle dishes (Thai, etc.) seem to be
very popular.  We also run out of the standards like potato and pasta salads
and stuff so if you see potato salad on a later list, it doesn't mean we
can't use more than one bowl.

Here is a simple list of things that were brought last year to get your ideas
going.
Bacon Baked Beans, Beef Stews, Crockpot Surprise,2 Pots o Chili, Vegetarian
Chili, Pasta Dish, Taboule, humus, some pita bread, and a platter of cut up
raw veggies, Chinese noodle dish, Collard Greens,  Broccoli Salad, Tomato and
Cucumber Pasta Salad, Fruit Salad, HUGE greeen salad, 4-Breads,
Rolls,Bread,Punkin Bread, Banana Bread, Pittsburgh's Perfect Peanutbutter
Pies,Apple Pie,Peach Pie, Pecan Pie ,Blueberry Pie, Pies from the DWG
Bakery!, Sinful Chocolate Crunch, Rum pound cake, more pies

Okay , here's the list of what we need:

Coffee..two big cans of Decaf, drip style.  (We have regular already)
Sugar...
Teas are nice too!
Big water cooler (soccer moms and dads take note)
Perkers for Reg and decaf
Paper plates....we need 200 REALLY HEAVY DUTY dinner sized paper plates (no
foam please)
Aluminum foil- 1 roll
Plastic wrap-1 roll
Bread.....plain old sliced white bread doesn't seem to get eaten but
Sourdough, Rye and other nifty breads and rolls vanish.
Butter and lighter spreads
A BIG green salad
Nothing wrong with store bought desserts!!!

And for the good news, we already have......

1 ham and 1 turkey  - Marsha from Cleveland (and group)
1 ham or turkey - Gary
2 large cans reg coffee - hotdog
2 desserts - Bushwacker and Shadow
Pasta salad - Sparky
Napkins - Sparky
Crock pot surprise and 'tater salad - CJ
four peanut butter pies - Pittsia
A *load of half-n-half - Pittsia
A truckload of KK donuts - Pittsia
Dessert - Hummingbird
Pies - The Old Gray Goose
Chili or cookies from Shelly

Whew, I think thats it. If you have any questions, just let me know!

POG
http://members.aol.com/karens62
the world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful. -- e.e. cummings