[at-l] To the Class of 2003...

To the Class of 2003 --

Each year on Jan. 1 (or, 2nd as it may be this year
...), I've submitted this poem to whatever AT list I
happen to be following at the time.

The author is anonymous, and ironically, my boss had
given this out at the beginning of a new year as a
'motivating' tool to get the employees fired up for
another year. All it did for me, though, was fire me
up to leave my job and hike the AT.

As you get ready for your adventure this year, you
have both my blessing and my envy. Godspeed ... I have
never in my left felt more alive than I did during my
5+ months on the trail...

=================

DREAM BIG

If ever there were a time to dare,
to make a difference,
to embark on something worth doing,
it is now.
Not for some grand cause, necessarily,
but for something that tugs at your heart
something that is your aspiration
Something that's your dream

You owe it to yourself
to make each day here count
Have fun
Dig deep
Stretch

Dream big.

Know, though, that things worth doing
seldom come easy.
There will be good days
and there will be bad days
There will be times when
you want to turn around,
pack it up,
call it quits.
Those times tell you
that you are pushing yourself,
that you are not afraid to learn by trying.

Persist.

Because with an idea,
determination,
and the right tools,
you can do great things.
Let your instincts,
your intellect
and your heart
guide you.

Trust.

Believe in the incredible power
of the human mind.
Of doing something that makes a difference.
Of working hard.
Of laughing and hoping.
Of lazy afternoons.
Of lasting friends.
Of all the things that will cross your path
this year.

The start of something new
brings the hope of something great.
Anything is possible.