[at-l] Mice!! [was Mice (is Mice)].

Rogene,

Reference your post, dated 1-1-03.

1)  Moth balls repel all sorts of animals.  I don't know at what interval
you would have to place them around your site to be minimally effective
repelling wild mice.  Nor do I know the period of time which they last
before fully evaporating.

2)  I anticipate someone hiking the AT, someday, coming to shelters and nice
camping spots and finding the residue of mothballs sprinkled about by
previous hikers.  This may come to be accepted as only natural.

3)  Until reading the post of Marielle and Paul, this site, this date,
(Mice) I hadn't heard of any (what I'll term) real objectionable behavior on
the part of mice.  I just read of people a bit squeamish to accept nature
unvarnished.

Their post included Arctic Sven's consideration why he and others may have
been bitten by mice, "I think the Bullfrog sunscreen with aloe and other
fragrances might have attracted (the mouse) to my face."

I really don't wish to be confused with "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named" BUT, to
my way of thinking, we have introduced an unnatural substance into nature
and find mice think it's worth testing for edibility.  Then, we counteract
their understandable tendency by introducing another unnatural substance
into nature to repel inquisitive hungry animals, rather than take
inconvenient, lengthy, and perhaps painful, steps to "get it right" in our
interaction with nature.

4)  I have been privy for years to information identifying all sorts of
accessible objects which can readily become nerve or other incapacitating
agents.  Some can become almost instantly deadly, others are much less
dramatic, taking effect slowly, some for periods of up to years.  I doubt,
however, that the satisfaction of idle curiosity warrants a realistic
discussion of such things in an open forum.

Steve

P.s.  "You been reading MAD magazine again?"  That's a good one, Bryan.