[at-l] Mice.

>"... mice are part of the program." reports Steve A.

And I'm glad he reposted his comments -- even though I got the original. Animal
pests along the trail are primarily a product of human decisions-- sometimes by
regulatory agencies; more often by hiker behavior.

 As thru hikers above all should know, food is the primary animal instinct.
 Mice, raccoons, snakes, bears, all creatures -- including humans -- seek food
 first. Hikers who leave food are responsible for the invasion of food seekers.
 They are part of the program. Leave food in wild areas and wild seekers of food
 will gather. Mice aren't terribly smart, but they sure can detect good food.

 My first adult "backpack" occurred in the middle 60s in the Mahoosucs. My plan
 was to do the Mahoosucs in an overnight -- an absurd plan as most of those who
 started the trail with dreams of immediate 15 mile days can attest.

 Well I left Shelburne, NH around 9:30 or so, climbed to the ridgeline and
 promptly wasted an hour following a cream-colored blazed side trail. About dark
 I reached Carlos Col and promptly cut fire wood to cook supper. In  the "good
 old days" few of us bothered with stoves. Well I whacked about three sticks of
 wood before the handle of my LL Bean woodsman's axe broke.

 I got a fire going, never-the-less, rehydrated my cooked, but redried beans and
 went to sleep all by myself in the Carlos Col shelter. About 2 a.m. something
 touched my shoulder. I awake abruptly, shined my light around and saw nothing.

 Puzzled but tired I soon drifted back to sleep, briefly. Something hit my face.
 Again the light. Again nothing. Again sleep. Again a blow on the forehead. I
 was prepared this time. I had slept with my light on. In it's beam I saw a wild
 kangaroo mouse bouncing away.

 For some reason most of my 1,000 or so nights in shelters since have melded
 into vague memories. But that night seems to stick in my memory.

 Weary, who promises to now try to stop reminiscing.