[at-l] Pack buying - Some Food For Thought re Your Local OutdoorShop and Use Tax Laws

> One other legal thing that very few people really know:  Every state
> that collects sales tax on locall purchased merchandise also has a
> parallel tax, called the use tax.  What the use tax law says is that if
> you buy a $300.00 pack mail order from out of state, and the mail order
> merchant does not collect SALES tax on your purchase, and you then take
> delivery and "use" the pack in your home state [legally, "use" of the
> pack includes storing it in your attic - even if only for a week, or
> using it for a shakedown hike, etc. before hitting the Trail], then you
> are required to voluntarily file a use tax form and pay the same amount
> of use tax to your home state as you would have had to pay in sales tax
> if you bought the item locally.

	You have /got/ to be kidding.

> There are court cases that have prohibited states from forcing all out
> of state merchants to collect sales tax on every mail order transaction
> based on commerce clause concerns, etc.  However, every state's use tax
> remains fully constitutional and in effect, for it only applies to
> citizens of that state who use non-sales-tax-paid items inside the
> state's boundaries . . . so, I reckon we are all criminals yet again! :)

> thru-thinker

	Hey, hey, hey! I have paid every cent of use tax required. Heck, I may
start refusing to pay sales tax in other states, and just assure them
I'll be filing the appropriate use tax when I get home...

	Ron (go ahead, look up what Montana's sales tax percentage is...)
--

must preside at our assemblies.
	William O. Douglas

yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com