[at-l] Pack buying

I agree with everything Sly had to say about the company and the
reputation of their packs. That said, I have the Bombpak, the next size
down and it gathers dust in my gear closet. It is harder to get my
sleeping bag down the pack - no seperate sleeping bag zipper (read
extra weight). It has a firm plastic sheeting for a frame that is
supposed to conform to your back. It just never seemed to do it for me.
Yet loads of others love it.

I know that nearly 5 pounds for a pack is pretty heavy these days. You
could look at Kelty and see similar sized packs (Haiku and Coyote) for
a pound less. I expect that MountainSmith would have something lighter,
yet.

Enjoy the fun of shopping and guessing which one will work for 6
months. There is great fun in comparing features and weights,
warrantees and prices. Just after Christmas, I expect you will find
excellent sales. EMS is my personal favorite, but there are plenty.

Bill...