[at-l] Pack buying

A lot depends on the pack you are purchasing, and how much adjustment
you feel you are capable of making on your own. The pack is (hopefully)
one of your last purchases, once you have determined the size of stuff
that will be contained therein.

I'm all for supporting your local outfitter, but I'm also all for
getting a good deal. The pack I've come to love was via Internet -
Kelty Flight 4500 - but it took a couple of trips and about 100 miles
before I got the pack correctly adjusted. At least get someone with
customer support to go over the appropriate use of the bag and
adjustment. Some of the support staff for packs work for large gear
retailers. For instance, Kelty used a large western mail order company
that felt strongly that EMS erred in their marketing of the pack.

There are also pack manufacturers that are only available on line -
such as the GPV-4. By the time you hit Neels Gap, you will be a
"professional" and will have used a backpack more than most purchasers
or retailers.

So, let us in on the type of pack and the store. You might get more
helpful and more specific advice.

Bill...