[at-l] Hardcopy Journals

I also kept a hardcopy journal during my thruhike.  But, rather than carry a
whole journaling book, I just carried some notebook paper.

Every time I got to town, I would ship the newly written pages to my
transcriber who type them up and put them up on my web site.  Even if you
don't have a transcriber, you can just mail them home (or wherever) and get
them at the end of the journey.  Saved me from carrying a lot of weight.  My
maildrops contained enough pages to get me to my next maildrop.

Some of the folks carrying a whole journal book, pointed out that I couldn't
refer back to earlier pages while I was on the trip.  While that was
certainly true, most people carrying a small enough journal for the trail
had to use multiple copies anyway.  At least I could get to all of my
journal entries anytime I got to a computer.

If you have a transcriber, make sure you have backups and backups for your
backups.  For one reason or another, my transcribers had to stop after just
a couple of months so I ended up transcribing the second half of my trip
after I got home - much to the chagrin of folks trying to follow along.
Turns out, many had no way of knowing if I had gotten off-trail or not.

Mara
Stitches, AT99