From: <KarenS62@aol.com>
To: <nealb@midlandstech.com>; <at-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 9:54 AM
Subject: Re: [at-l] Gift for a curious about hiking friend...

In a message dated 12/18/2002 9:43:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Ferguson@CWF.org writes:

> But I am wondering what would be a good present for them to get them
REALLY  interested.  A book?  A video?

As far as I am concerned, you can never go wrong with a book. The Santa that
delivers here already knows that :-)

Rather than overwhelm them with the whole world of backpacking, why not
start with a good book of local day hikes of varying length. If they have
the benefit of living in CT, I would highly recommend the Connecticut Walk
Book, otherwise, one of the "50 hikes in....." is a great choice. There may
be other books for their area that are good resources.

I have found that, after a number of fun and interesting dayhikes, the idea
"What if I could just stay out here for the weekend, week, month, ...."
kicks in on it's own.

POG
(who obviously isn't getting a lot of work done today)