[at-l] Gift for a curious about hiking friend...

In a message dated 12/18/2002 9:43:00 AM Eastern Standard Time, Ferguson@CW=
F.org writes:

> But I am wondering what would be a good present for them to get them REAL=
LY  interested.  A book?  A video?

As far as I am concerned, you can never go wrong with a book. The Santa tha=
t delivers here already knows that :-)

Rather than overwhelm them with the whole world of backpacking, why not sta=
rt with a good book of local day hikes of varying length. If they have the =
benefit of living in CT, I would highly recommend the Connecticut Walk Book=
, otherwise, one of the "50 hikes in....." is a great choice. There may be =
other books for their area that are good resources.

I have found that, after a number of fun and interesting dayhikes, the idea=
 "What if I could just stay out here for the weekend, week, month, ...." ki=
cks in on it's own.

POG
(who obviously isn't getting a lot of work done today)