[at-l] Gift for a curious about hiking friend...

Before I go and hibernate for a couple of weeks or so, I have friends who
are curious about hiking.  They are not couch potatoes, and they are not
afraid of the outdoors, i.e., snakes, spiders and such do not bother them.
But they are not hikers.  Still they are curious.  But I am wondering what
would be a good present for them to get them REALLY interested.  A book?  A
video?  A piece of equipment?  What?

I know what I was thinking, but I decided to put it up to the list.  With
two limits: 1) What would you give them if money was no object.  (I have a
serious reason for this that's too complicated to explain.  Let's just say
it involves a short-short story).  2) What would you give that is reasonable
priced and one that is low priced.

William The Turtle