[at-l] On Topic Quote

>> If the reduced number of hours in a French work week is
>> such an obvious good, then why is it necessary for their
>> government to sustain it by force of law?

> Because if you work more than 35 hrs a week you are taking
> work away from some one else.

Why at 35 hours? The French unemployment rate didn't drop
all that much since they reduced the work week. Assuming
there is a causal relationship between the two events,
perhaps the work week should be reduced even further to
return to the remaining 9% of their work force those jobs
they've been denied by the "greedy" employed.

> Look at any business in the USA.  When push comes to shove
> the first cost cutting thing that a company does is fire its
> employees.

The French law was not a cost-cutting measure. The reduction
in their work week was not accompanied by a reduction in
weekly pay. Thus, labor costs were increased by around 12%
from this law.

> Heaven forbid that they look at a different model.  Comes
> down to one thing Greed.  We have raised generations of
> greedy people.

So?

> Remember no one ever said on thier death bed that they
> regretted not spending more time at work.

No one who disliked their work, perhaps, but believe it or
not, some people love their work. I guess we know to which
category you belong.

> Grey Owl
> Who decided to take two weeks off over the holidays.

How altruistic of you to make way for someone else to
work the holidays.

-MF