[at-l] My Packlist for AT Starting Jan 2nd

Listen to this advice. I like a full length Deluxe Ridgerest and a 3/4
Guidelight, but put my feet and legs up on my pack at night. I also
agree that you will sleep warmer in a tent than in a shelter, but you
have to be prepared to stake out a tent in snow or frozen ground. This
skill is not all that intuitive nor easy. Your mylar bivy may be very
useful in the Smokies in a shelter if you catch a blizzard.

Once the very cold weather is under control, a fleece sleeping bag ($20
from Target) can be enough, while doubling as a bag liner and
temperature extender during winter weather. If you are starting in
January, expect very cold weather through March, assuming you make the
Smokies before February.

Bill...