[at-l] Sun protection

>>standard advice is - use it (sunscreen, that is).

A large, wide brimmed  hat and long sleeve shirts also
works well for sun protection. Granted, the a wide
brimmed hat may not be practical during winter. One of
the big surprises for people doing the AT is the
amount of sun exposure they get in the first part of
the trail. No leaves on the trees means no shade,
which means you are in the sun all day. Wise hikers
would bring some kind of sun protection, be it sun
screen or clothing.

As an aside, agree 100% about protection on the
Western trails. Those UV rays can be brutal at higher
elevations. During my winter hikes, always slap on the
sunscreen. I may tan well...but EVERYONE burns well at
10000+ feet.

=====