[at-l] RE: My Packlist for AT Starting Jan 2nd

Ron writ:

*****  If the poncho system is necessary for your shelter, keep it.  If
it is not, the sil nylon jacket and pants will be enough.   *****

>> >Fleece Balaclava	2.25
>> >Liner Balaclava	1.5	1.5
>
>Layering system.  Sometimes its too warm for the Fleece one or too cold
for
>only the fleece one.

*****   For me, that would be a HUGE temperature range - usually, just
the fleece one would do, and I'd wear it differently (as a hat only) if
it was too warm.   *****

>> >2 Midweight Polypro	12.5
>>
>>Why 2?   Hmmm - polypro what?
>
>Tops sorry.  I have gotten so use to calling them polypros I forgot
that
>others may not realize what they are. :)  For reassurance.  I can
always
>send it home.

*****   Reassurance can be good.  Consider taking a set of the lightest
long underwear you can find, along with a pair of cozy camp socks, FOR
USE IN A SHELTER OR TENT ONLY.  In very cold or wet climes, I keep these
in a galloon ziplock that is never opened until I am dry and under
shelter.  That way, no matter what happens to you during the day, you
are assured of clothes that could save your life (in a sleeping bag,
that is) - especially important going ultralight in harsh conditions.
*****

> >Down Vest	10.25
> >MEC Jacket	11.75

*****   Consider just using your bag as a vest substitute i.e. when you
are in camp, you are in your bag.  This is a great rule of thumb for
backcountry ski touring, and translates well to ultralite packing.  Is
the MEC jacket a waterproof/breathable?  If so consider using it alone
to start the trip and then replace it with the sil jacket when it warms
up.  Shouldn't need both.   *****

>>Yeah - I carried one of these - till I figured out that it was just
extra
>>weight.
>
>I figure it might save my butt if it becomes terribly cold out there-
lower
>than the 15* that my sleeping bag is supposedly good to.

*****   I question the choice of 15*.  I am willing to bet that you will
have more than 15 nights close to 5* or colder.  I sleep warm myself,
but that's a lot of nights to be shivering.  Then again, I'm not
familiar with your sleep system - just be sure that you can sleep well
below 10*.    *****

>> >Garmin Vista	5.25
>>
>>A nice toy - but not worth the weight on the AT.
>
>My parents bought me this for graduation.  I would hat to waste the
money
>spent on it.  Plus my mother is quite paranoid with me getting lost.
This
>is her reassurance.

*****   After a few weeks your Mom will be reassured that you can
survive out there, then you can send it home.  Even if she is not
reassured, you'll probably reach the stage where you send it home
regardless.   *****

*****   In another post, you mentioned all the light sources you have (I
like the idea of the LED in the First Aid kit, though).  Consider using
a single Petzl Tikka or other brand of LED headlamp.  These things last
forever, and what's better, they take forever to go really dim - so when
you realize you'd like new batteries, you still have many, many hours of
usable light, enough to get you to the next resupply - hence, no need
for spare batteries, or spare lights.    *****

Finally, like may of us, I'm jealous...

Ke Kaahawe

---