[at-l] My Packlist for AT Starting Jan 2nd

Jim Wrote

> >Full Length Walmart Sleeping Pad	12
> >Homemade Zrest	10
>
>Unless we're sleeping ON snow, we use a 3/4 length Ridgerest at 9 oz.  If
>sleeping ON snow then we use the full size Ridgerest and 3/4 Thermarests.
>There's no reason why you should be sleeping on snow on the southern AT.

Well the main reason I carry the Z is because it works as the frame of the
GVP.  Plus I like the added warmth.

> >Poncho	10
> >Poncho Extension	3
>
>We use FroggToggs (8 oz) and silnylon pack covers (3 oz)

Just to clear this up the extension is part of a shelter system that I came
up with.  if you go to this site :

and click on Ron's poncho  you can see my set up.  Note: you must be a
member of the MakeGear group to view this website.

> >Cooking
> >Grease Pot	4
> >Cat Stove	0.75
> >Pot Stand	1
> >Mini Bic	0.5
>
>When it's cold, the miniBic is really hard to use.  We generally carry the
>full size model and a spare - and leave the matches at home.  "Light
>Anywhere" matches don't.

I like the matches with the cat stove.  Also I carry them and the striker in
a film canister.

>Hmm - we also use 1L Gatorade bottles - the wider mouth helps prevent
>freezing over.
>

> >Clothing
>
>Too much ----
>
> >Short Gaitors	2.25	2.25
>
>We don't use these - but a lot of people do.  They make my feet sweat more.
>

> >Silnylon Rain Pants	2.75
> >Silnylon Rain Jacket	5
>
>Hmm - was that poncho for rain or shelter?  Guess you'll have to figure
>that out.

Both.  The silnylon suit is for very windy days and adds considerable warmth
if needed

> >Fleece Balaclava	2.25
> >Liner Balaclava	1.5	1.5

Layering system.  Sometimes its too warm for the Fleece one or too cold for
only the fleece one.

> >2 Midweight Polypro	12.5
>
>Why 2?   Hmmm - polypro what?

Tops sorry.  I have gotten so use to calling them polypros I forgot that
others may not realize what they are. :)  For reassurance.  I can always
send it home.

> >Down Vest	10.25
> >MEC Jacket	11.75
>
>?????

What was the ? here?  What are these or do you think that I do not need
these.

> >Mylar Bivy	2.75
>
>Yeah - I carried one of these - till I figured out that it was just extra
>weight.

I figure it might save my butt if it becomes terribly cold out there- lower
than the 15* that my sleeping bag is supposedly good to.

> >Extras Batteries	0.75
>
>Extra = extra weight.  Dump'em in your drift box.

With all the electronics (I know these are a lot of extra wieght but I have
decided to take them) I will need a spare set.

> >Pocketmail 	8.5
>
>Put it in the drift box?  You generally can't use it unless you're in town
>anyway.

I will be using it on the trail to keep my journal & catch up on email sent
to me. I do not want to spend a good portion of town time reading and
replying to emails that I could be doing in the shelters during the long
winter nights.

> >Credit Card/ID/Cash	1.5
>
>Good - but where's your drivers license, phone card, medical card.  Is the
>credit card an ATM card as well?

My ID is my drivers license.  I forgot to include my med card.  I have
memorized my phone card number and also entered it into my pocketmail.  Yes
the the card I carry is a Debit/Credit card.

> >Garmin Vista	5.25
>
>A nice toy - but not worth the weight on the AT.

My parents bought me this for graduation.  I would hat to waste the money
spent on it.  Plus my mother is quite paranoid with me getting lost.  This
is her reassurance.

Thanks Jim,

Ron