[at-l] My Packlist for AT Starting Jan 2nd

Ron wrote:
>Well here it is... What would you add?
>
>Pack List

Ron -
How about deletions/substitutions?  I'll suggest the modifications that I'd
make to your list if "I" were gonna use it.  My suggestions here are just
that - don't take them as commandments.

>Full Length Walmart Sleeping Pad	12
>Homemade Zrest	10

Unless we're sleeping ON snow, we use a 3/4 length Ridgerest at 9 oz.  If
sleeping ON snow then we use the full size Ridgerest and 3/4 Thermarests.
There's no reason why you should be sleeping on snow on the southern AT.

>Poncho	10
>Poncho Extension	3

We use FroggToggs (8 oz) and silnylon pack covers (3 oz)

>Cooking
>Grease Pot	4
>Cat Stove	0.75
>Pot Stand	1
>Mini Bic	0.5

When it's cold, the miniBic is really hard to use.  We generally carry the
full size model and a spare - and leave the matches at home.  "Light
Anywhere" matches don't.

>Matches 	0.25

>2 1L Aquafina Bottles	3

For 4 oz you might want to carry something like a water bag (REI) or an MSR
Dromedary.  Real handy for hauling water back to camp from a spring that's
halfway down the mountain - or like the Peters Mt shelter in PA - halfway to
Canada.  <VBG>

Hmm - we also use 1L Gatorade bottles - the wider mouth helps prevent
freezing over.

Too much ----

>Short Gaitors	2.25	2.25

We don't use these - but a lot of people do.  They make my feet sweat more.

>Silnylon Rain Pants	2.75
>Silnylon Rain Jacket	5

Hmm - was that poncho for rain or shelter?  Guess you'll have to figure that
out.

>Fleece Balaclava	2.25
>Liner Balaclava	1.5	1.5

Why 2?

>2 Midweight Polypro	12.5

Why 2?   Hmmm - polypro what?

>2 Liner Socks	2.5	1.25

Keep in mind that liner socks give some of us blisters.

>Campmor Neoprene Socks	3.75

I found these useless - YMMV

>Northern lite Elite's Snowshoes	37.75

I doubt you'll need these.

>Down Vest	10.25
>MEC Jacket	11.75

?????

>	181.25	65.75

Too much --

Good choice ---- use it.

>Camp Suds	1.5

I don't carry soap.  I know - some people get horrified by that.  Don't wash
your pot with soap/cold water - unless you need to clean your tubes.

>Mylar Bivy	2.75

Yeah - I carried one of these - till I figured out that it was just extra
weight.

>Extras Batteries	0.75

Extra = extra weight.  Dump'em in your drift box.

>Pocketmail 	8.5

Put it in the drift box?  You generally can't use it unless you're in town
anyway.

>Credit Card/ID/Cash	1.5

Good - but where's your drivers license, phone card, medical card.  Is the
credit card an ATM card as well?

>Garmin Vista	5.25

A nice toy - but not worth the weight on the AT.

Remember - this is MY viewpoint.  YOU have to live with your decisions - I
don't.  So make the decisions that make YOU happy.

Have a good day -
Jim