[at-l] Debit Cards

--

.........Hopeful wrote:  "The last time I inquired at our bank there were s=
ome security options offered for credit cards that were not offered for deb=
it cards.
Basically, the credit cards offered save guards against unauthorized
use,as in a stolen card situation. The debit card offered no such
protection.If it was stolen and used or if the account was hacked, you were=
 just out of luck. In fact, if the debit card allowed for overdrafts, you
became liable for the overdraft and related charges.".........

Hi, Hopeful,

My husband left his card in the ATM in Philadelphia on a Saturday and some =
guy--who we realized afterwards, was sitting there waiting for someone to d=
o something like that--took out $700.00 from our checking account.  The ban=
k gave us the money back after 10 days!  I don't know if it was due to the =
fact that it is a debit card, but also can be used as a Visa card?  It is c=
alled a "check card".

We didn't realize it 'till I looked up the account online on Monday morning=
. Then, to make things even more difficult, PNC Bank wouldn't report the cr=
ime and the Philly police wouldn't take the crime report over the phone.  M=
y hubby had to go into Philly (50 miles) to give the report.  No wonder no =
one reports these crimes, they make it too difficult, and I think that the =
criminals know this!!!

I guess all banks have different policies, so calling them and asking is pr=
obably the best thing to do.

:o) Mary