From: "J Bryan Kramer" <jbryankramer@msn.com>
To: "Charles P. Copeland" <charles@uswnet.com>; "at-l"
<AT-L@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Sunday, December 15, 2002 10:32 PM
Subject: RE: [at-l] Virus software OT

I use Norton Internet Security 2002, it has the Norton Antivirus and Norton
Firewall, you really need both. The AV stops the viruses but the Firewall
stops the trojans and other attacks plus it blocks most of those annoying
adverts and it also blocks spyware. I get at least 4 trojan attacks per
week. A trojan for those not attuned to the jargon lets someone take contro=
of your computer, read, delete all files and generally do anything they wan=
to do with it. There are people out there who continually scan all IP
addresses to see if they can find vulnerable addresses. Once they have
control of your system, and you won't notice unless you have a firewall,
they can do illegal things with it.

As for updates, you can set it to update automatically or you can just log
in once a week to manually update. Contrary to other reports Norton only
normally does updates once a week unless they spot something that calls for
an early update. I seem to get the automatic updates on Monday and I think
the manual files are available on Wednesday but they may have switched to
Monday for that too. Norton generally comes out on top for the magazine
comparisions for home av/firewall software.

There are other good packages but you need both an AV and a Firewall.

Bryan

"Si vis pacem para bellum"