[at-l] cash/travellers cheques/shiny stones?

I used a combination of ATM, credit card, travelers checks, and cash.

The travelers checks were primarily usesful because I was getting frequent
maildrops and that reduced the ATM fees I had to pay.  Without maildrops, I
would just forgo the travelers checks and hit the ATMs every now and then.

There were a few places where ATMs were hard to find, but that never seemed
to be an issue for anyone.  When someone was low on cash in town, we would
usually help each other out by letting the low-on-cash person pay for
something on their credit card and pay them cash.  This was something we all
did for each other.

As for the AMC system, unless things have changed, they do take credit
cards.  Even at the fee shelters and campsites, they'll hand write your
credit card info and process it next time they return to town.

Of course, I'm not sure if the GMC has similar capabilities in VT.

Having cash on hand for the mid-Atlantic states can be important.  If you
intend to take advantage of the deli-to-deli hiking available there, not
every Mom and Pop general store or diner takes credit or even checks.

But, most of the typical resupply towns will have an ATM available.

One thing to remember, you do NOT want to carry change out of town.  Try to
spend all your change at every opportunity.  The stores along the AT are the
only places I've seen where the take a penny, leave a penny dishes routinely
had "silver" coinage in them.

Mara
Stitches, AT99