[at-l] Hiking Advice (2)

--
In a message dated 12/12/02 8:03:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
hudsom@us.ibm.com writes:

> Jim and others continually mention that it's not what's in your pack but
> what's in your head. Half the crowd gets to Neel's Gap and says "I'm wet,
> cold, sore, tired, hungry, and I have blisters, this is no fun, I quit, I'm
> going home". The other half says "I'm wet, cold, sore, tired, hungry, and I
> have blisters, I'm having a BLAST, and there's NO WAY I'm going to quit
> here."

Skeeter -

And many of us who section hike tend to get tired and hungry like the rest,
but I've yet to be wet, cold or sore on the trail and I have only had one
small blister in 300 plus miles (I carry about 6 pounds of moleskin and apply
it liberally - somethings I don't shave weight on).  I do have a blast
though.  The ones I saw in March that were considering bailing at Neels were
the ones that figured GA in March was like Bermuda and packed accordingly
(one of the guys at Gooch Mountain was in shorts and sandals in 35 degree
weather).  Some rudimentary planning is advisable although you can clearly
overdo said planning.

Black&blue