From: Jan Leitschuh <janl2@mindspring.com>
To: daveh@psknet.com, AT-List <at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Subject: [at-l] Near-Winter hiking, was Winter Hiking
Sender: at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 13:45:41 -0500

Okay, all you voices of experience, thru-hikers or not,

Here is a question.
Choose any or all three below to comment on, if the advice is specific and
from your own experience:

The type of weather Dave mentions below is what concerns me. Not rain, not
snow but that 33-degree stuff that chills the bones.

I can see several problems:

1) Staying warm and dry WHILE hiking (I've heard Nina and others mention
they couldn't stay warm even while hiking sometimes.)

2) Staying warm and dry while setting up the tent and making supper. I'll
have the Nomad 242 for spring.
It was my experience last March that - not being a 20-something "rabbit" -
that I could count on the shelter spaces down south being all claimed by the
time I straggled in, and that I needed to plan to set up a shelter. Cold
hands!

3) Keeping one's attitude positive in what I see as the most trying of
circumstances, ie, day after day of wet, near-freezing cold.

4) Anything else germane.

To me, this is weather that deserves serious consideration. I start
shivering quickly (low body mass). If you have some SPECIFIC info (not
general platitudes), I would love to hear it.

Jan
Class of '03