[at-l] Hiker chances (was Hiking Advice)

Hummingbird,

I laughed when I read this.  At the '99 Ruck, right before I started my
hike, Twilight mentioned she could tell who would finish and who wouldn't.
But, she didn't mention to me if she thought I would finish and I didn't
ask.  I was hiking the AT because I had time and I liked to hike, not
because it was some long-standing dream.  Before I started, my attitude was
that if I stopped enjoying it, I would get off the trail and I wouldn't
care.

It was only some weeks later, right before I left for GA that she told me,
unprompted, what she thought about my chances.  She was right.  :-)

I've since gotten similar feelings about people I've met before they've
started their hikes.  For the most part, it's hard to define how you can
tell, but a couple of things do come to mind...

(Remember folks, these are generalizations and lots of exceptions do occur.
If you're thinking about a thruhike, just go and don't worry what I, or
anyone else, perceives of your chances.)

So, here are my observations about folks who will go the distance:

- They aren't concentrating on Katahdin (unless they're SOBOs  ;-)

- They are open to new ideas.  They want to hear other's stories as much as
they want to make their own - and learn from them, if possible.

- They are still wondering if their gear will work for them - even if they
are experienced backpackers who already know their gear.  And they are
willing to make changes to make things work better.

- They also don't care what other people think their chances are.  ;-)

For the folks who won't necessarily make it:

- The folks who talk about Katahdin and not the rest of the trail, and more
specifically, not eagerly anticipating waking up on Springer (not just
getting to Springer) after just one night on the trail, are probably putting
themselves at a disadvantage.

- The folks who are fairly new to backpacking AND don't think they have
anything left to learn besides what they read in their books because they've
bought the latest and greatest gear already.

- The people who talk just "a bit" too much about home and the people
they've left, or are leaving, behind.  If they're that present before they
leave, that might prove to be too much pressure to gnaw away at them for 6
months.  You've got to be able to enjoy the moment and save the "missing the
loved ones" emotions for just some of the times along the trail.

Remember, these are just generalizations from one person.  The rest of you
can develop your own ideas and do your best to prove me wrong.  ;-)

Even when I have my doubts about someone, I still encourage them.  Even
though most thruhikers do not make it the entire way, anyone who is willing
to do what it takes to just start the trail, is worth my admiration.  The
vast majority of people in this world just do not have the wherewithal to
even attempt to make this type of dream come true and for many, it is quite
a sacrifice just to get to the trailhead.

Mara
Stitches, AT99