[at-l] Gortex boots--is it worth it?

Heck, some people ask the question "Are boots worth
it?"

In 1998, I did the traditional leather boot thing. It
worked. But the shoes would invariably get wet
(gore-tex or no gore-tex!) and take forever to dry.
Having 3-5 lbs of leather on my feet, more if they
were wet, can make for a tiring day.

In 1999, started hiking in light, fabric boots and by
2000 I was a convert to trail shoes/sneakers.

They are lighter, dry quick and for trail hiking seem
to work well. They also worked well in nasty red sand
out in Utah. :D

I have converted many of my friends to giving sneakers
a whirl.

The caveat about this method?  Have a lighter pack. DO
NOT try them out on your first day at Springer! Try to
get in a practice backpacking weekend or two with at
least two consecutive 8 mile days. The start of a
2000+ mile hike is not the way to find out if a
lighter shoe works for you. It does not work for
everyone. But many of those who tried it seem to love
it.  Again, try using a sneaker for backpacking BEFORE
you take that first step on your AT thru-hike. Better
to find out on a trail near your home than somewhere
in Georgia that sneakers do not work for you.

=====