[at-l] Hiking Advice/AT2004

"Bob C." wrote:
>And he's right of course. I urged climbing a few mountains involving 14
>mile days. I didn't go into what folks need to do before being able to
>comfortably climb "a few mountains involving 14 mile days."
>
>I can attest that a month of five mile road walks with a 15-pound pack are
>not sufficient conditioning for a thru hike, even for someone who had been
>doing weekend and vacation backpacks for 35 years.

The basic regimen for successful training is described in the Rodale books -
some people might remember those two 1000 page volumes?  It consisted of
starting with 5-mile, 5# packs for a week, then gradually increasing the
distance/weight until you were carrying 5# more weight than you planned on
carrying on the Trail and walking 15 mile days.  But it also involved
walking "every day" - and it wasn't a one month program.

>  As far as the 40 pound packs go, I suspect most hikers start with that
>amount --

Unfortunately, probably true.

>and probably should if they are relative beginners, starting earlier than
>mid-April.

Not necessary.

>I hear a lot of discussion on the list about far lighter packs, but I also
>hear lengthy  gear discussions about items that I consider nothing but
>needless weight -- alcohol gel and baby wipes rather than a half ounce bar
>of soap, Zero degree sleeping bags, Goretex Parkas, multi tool devices (I
>make a one-ounce jackknife serve for all uses) -
>and light weight gear that involves far more investment than many are able
>or willing to make.

Yup - and much of that gear isn't necessary.  But don't get confused - those
who are truly lightweight won't be carrying that stuff anyway.

I've rarely carried either alcohol gel or soap, a 20* bag should be
sufficient for the northern and southern sections of the AT (40* for the
Mid-Atlantic), Goretex parkas (like Goretex boots) are both heavy and a
ripoff, etc.

>I think that light weight backpacking too often translates into too >many
>trips into town during inclement weather and to purchase food.

"Too many" is an individual judgment call. What's "too many" for some will
be "not enough" for others.

>One good way to end a thru hike is to become acclimated to lengthy >town
>stops every two or three days.

Yup - the gravity well is tough to fight.  Unless you've got someplace to go
- like Katahdin.  That's some of what "attitude" is about.

>Except when resupply is within an easy walk to and from the trail, I
> >planned on six days of food and four pounds of water (two quarts a day.)
>That starts off with a minimum of 16 pounds, allowing 24 pounds for tent,
>backpack, stove,cooking utensil, sleeping bag, clothing, maps, a book,
>knife, warm clothing, etc.

You travel heavy.  Our pack weight for 4 days in the Absaroka-Beartooths was
less than 21 pounds each.  And Ginny was carrying a Gregory Reality (5#).

>Sure the weight of all these things can be shaved, and probably the best
>way to find out how best to do that and to find what works for you is to do
>a series of 14-mile-a-day backpacking hikes up steep mountains, in climate
>conditions similar to what one is likely to experience, while carrying 40
>pounds.  YMMV

I'll agree with everything except the 40 pounds -- IF -- you make it a
series of "consecutive" 14-mile days.  One of the things we've run into is
people who can do the miles, but have never stayed a night in the woods.
And when they start the Trail, find out they don't like it.  Another
situation is that a lot of people don't know how to use their equipment.
The time to find out how is BEFORE one gets on the Trail.  We had one woman
who (after a flame war on the list about this) went out for a weekend and
found that her brand new high tech Titanium tent stakes wouldn't fit the
loops in her tent.

In fact, when Warren Doyle does his expeditions, the training involves a
number of 3-day, 60-mile hikes spread over 3 years.  And his preference is
for a cold  rain all 3 days and all 60 miles of each hike.

Walk softly,
Jim