[at-l] Hiking "attitude"

Shane wrote the following about the hiking attitude needed to complete a hi=
ke:

"I keep having this 'argument' over and over with Bob.  He has the
'accomplish the task' mindset.  Such a mindset NEVER worked for me."

I enjoy the trail, but I also have a similar attitude as Shane describes ab=
out Bob.  The anticipation of that feeling of satisfaction of completing a =
difficult mental and physical challenge is more of what keeps me going on a=
 long distance hike.  I have experienced that satisfaction enough times now=
 that I can sort of bank on it during the exhaustion, depression, etc., tha=
t would normally contribute to a person deciding to leave the trail before =
they have reached their goal.

I'm just now, after doing 1,500 miles of the AT over 5 hikes, getting to wh=
ere I can really enjoy a view, or just being outdoors, when I am having to =
stop for a rest to overcome exhaustion.  On my second hike in 1999 my wife =
accompanied me on the trail.  She was struggling up Beauty Spot when I yell=
ed back to her, "Hurry on up, honey, the view is fabulous up here."  To thi=
s she replied, "Views, Schmews.  Let's just get to where we're going."  She=
 is definitely not the type to enjoy the scenery after being totally exhaus=
ted.

No matter how much physical training you do for the trail beforehand, the a=
ctual experience is not going to be what you expected.  Your mental adjustm=
ent to that is going to be what determines whether you quit and go home, or=
 continue on for the satisfaction of an experience you aren't even able to =
accurately anticipate at the time.