[at-l] Hiking Advice (2)

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 08:51:50AM -0500, I received a message from Bob C. to which I felt pleasantly compelled to respond by saying:
> Which is why the best advice we can give a beginner is to put on a pack and do a
> few 14 mile days with a 40 pound pack up the steepest mountains you can find.
>
> In 1993, nearly a third of the people I met on Springer either called it quits
> or planned to at Neels Gap.

I haven't done the AT yet.  Though I plan to....someday. *sigh* I'm
curious, how far up the trail is Neels Gap?

I hate to be cold wet and hungry.  I swore the day I got out of the Army
that I'd never be cold wet and hungry again.  And if I ever did reach
that point I was going to throw a fit like a baby (because I never could
before).  However, I've become very adept at making sure I'm NEVER all
three.  Any two is fine, but if I get all three I'll freak.

Anyway, I did 4 days on the PCT over the summer, and I really didn't
want to quit.  *another sigh*

Cleek
--
This message brought to you by Vim, Mutt, and a Cleek