[at-l] 2,000 + 167 + what?

--
In a message dated 12/11/02 12:49:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
DataBook97@aol.com writes:

> It seems that the Trail is getting longer, year-by-year.  My 1983 Data
> Book (the first one for which I served as editor) shows the length of the
> Trail as 2133.9 miles.  That's an increase of nearly 40 miles in the
> intervening 19 years, which is not insignificant, even when spread over
> 2,100
> miles

In doing some research I found that one of the original reasons given for not
moving the southern terminus to Springer Mt was that the AT would not be 2000
miles long. But relos did make the AT over 2000 miles long when Springer
became the South end about 1960.
The Mileage Fact Sheets in the back of Ed Garveys original book (published in
1971) list the mileage as 2011.4 for 1970.

The Old RidgeRunner