[at-l] AT2004 Yahoo Group

re: info in books, on-line, etc

The real lessons of the trail aren't in the nuts and
bolts that can be gained easily from books or web
archives.

It was the personal experiences of people who hiked
the AT that I learned the most from. The brutally
honest answers about what it is like to be tired,
hungry, wet, cold. Most planning books or web based
resources do not convey this feeling.

When I was planning my own AT hike five years ago
(egads!), I learned all the planning I needed to do in
a short period of time. It ain't rocket science. Would
ask a question on this very list (as well as ATML to
be fair) and it would get answered.

But what I found most intructive was not the
"re-supply here" or "take this gear" type of messages,
but reading the first hand accounts. Devoured the
online journals like Snickers (mmmm) and the personal
stories posted on both lists.  Discussions on the
merits of Goretex only helped me so much.

Reading about a person who broke down and cried when
reaching Katahdin did more to help me on the trail
than any gear discussion ever did.

Your mileage may vary.

Mags
LT97,99