[at-l] AT2004 Yahoo Group

--

> OTOH -- were I a "new hiker" and I had questions, I would far rather ask
> them and get a variety of answers from the board experiences of a list that
> contain many successful thruhikers and a handful of triple-crowners, than I
> would rely the opinions other "new hiker", like myself.

Forgive me if this sounds cranky, but it's been a very long week.

I just don't understand what the fuss is. If you were member of these other,
smaller groups, (and even if you aren't) then you might be aware that almost
all, if not all, the members are on this list and/or others. We couldn't plan
the AT-L picture at the Gathering right after the big group shot because a
significant portion of those people needed to go smile for the 2003 group and
the women hikers pictures too. For many people, much of the pleasure of
hiking comes from the planning process and why not access as many varied
resources as possible?

No one has anything to say when someone belongs to BPL and AT-L, probably
because they both serve a population with a specific common interest. Why
should a small group with the common interest of starting a thruhike the same
month not set up a place just to get to know each other and, in the process,
to voice their excitement, concerns, plans? Even if you aren't a new hiker,
everyone likes to hang out with friends who have the same interests.

To suggest that it deprives all of us here of the vicarious enjoyment of this
excitement just hasn't been proven valid. We heard about Jan's LT prep hike
and becoming horse-less for the first time in many, many years.  Amy shared
the exhilaration of her first hike in preparation for her thru and reminded
so many of us of our first hikes :-) I  could go on and on, but I won't.
Please stop fussing about this and recognize that there is room for everyone
and multiple lists. You're making my hair turn very prematurely gray.

POG

the world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful. -- e.e. cummings