[at-l] 2,000 + 167 + what?

Knowing that the "2,000 miler" designation for the trail by the ATC is call=
ed such because of tradition, and is about 170 miles short of the present a=
ctual distance, I wonder how many additional miles the average hiker probab=
ly covers from one end of the trail to another because of trips to shelters=
, off trail hiking to towns, scenic overlooks, etc.?

Would you think that they add 100, 200, 300 or more miles to the average th=
ru-hike?  Whitley Gap shelter is what, 1=BC miles from the trail, while Mas=
hipacong shelter has to be walked around to stay on the trail.  This, of co=
urse, is of no great importance, unless you are deciding at the end of the =
day whether or not to stay at a particular shelter or go on a few hundred y=
ards and camp beside the trail.

I wonder how many hikers make it a point to stop by as many shelters as pos=
sible, just to see what they are like, or to write in the journals, or to s=
top for a lunch break and/or take a nap, as they hike along each day.  I wa=
s once one of those hikers, but now hike past every shelter turn off along =
the way if it is not my final destination for the day.  I know it is an una=
nswerable question, but how many miles do you figure you added to the "offi=
cial" trail designaged miles?