Re[2]: [at-l] Re: Pennsylvania Pointed Rocks

>"Thru hiker" is a somewhat nebulous term that each person has to >define
>for themselves. Everyone that starts at Springer (or Katahdin) >with the
>intention of going all the way is a "thru hiker," at least >for as long as
>they stay on the trail.

Careful Bob, you know how this kind of thread can degenerate ;-).

WF was famous for his strained definitions of "thru-hiker" vs. "2,000
Miler".  Perhaps that's why he did not have himself registered as a "2,000
Miler" for the last of his two thru-hikes.

That's just going by the ALDHA 50th Anniversary publication, though.  I have
not seen fit to check the ATC records personally ;-).

My larger point is that while most normal people call a duck a duck, for a
small minority definitions mean a lot more than perhaps they should.  The
only "official" definition that really exists is that for "2000-Miler".  The
ATC has a form for people to fill out that spells out the requirements for
that certification, which can be found at www.atconf.org.  As far as I'm
concerned, if I meet somone in the Whites who started up in Maine or down in
Georgia, I'll think of them as a thru hiker, even if they have missed some
stretches here and there.

If they call themselves a 2000 miler, I'll acccept that at face value.

Rick B