[at-l] Re: Pennsylvania Pointed Rocks

Linda/Jan Benschop -
>So...is there anyway you can blue blaze (or yellow blaze??) PA and still be
>considered a thruhiker??

Hummingbird -
The PA rocks are overrated.  I've walked the AT in PA more than once and
only rarely have the rocks been a problem.  In 92 we did Harpers Ferry to
Delaware Water Gap in 14 days.  And THAT is the problem that most thruhikers
have with PA - that it's hot, humid, sticky - that they're tired, hungry and
overheated -- and they're trying to do big-mile days.  So they get more
overheated (in more ways than one), they hurry faster to get it over with -
and they beat up their feet, legs, boots and attitude.

If you take your time and enjoy it, PA is just as beautiful as any other
state on the AT - and no more rocky than most of those in the Northeast.
The PA rocks are intermittent - you'll get a mile of rocks and then 3 miles
of good trail - then another mile of rocks, then another couple miles of
good trail.  And that's mostly north of Duncannon.

Those who want "real" rocks should try some of the other PA trails.

Walk softly,
Jim