[at-l] Winter trip report

Another day in the backcountry of Colorado.

One trip I have been wanting to do for a while now is
a winter acent of Mt. Audubon. It is not particularly
difficult to hike, the weather is not particullary bad
like Mt. Washington...but it is a favorite peak of
mine to hike. Wonderful views, moderate climb and less
than an hour from my house. And the mountains in
winter always seem to be that much more beautiful.

What make this mountain a bit more of a challenge in
winter is that the access road to the trailhead is
closed down. Adds about 5 miles roundtrip to the day.
An mile round trip day now becomes 13 miles round
trip.
As my friend and I were on snowshoes, this makes for a
bit of a tiring day....

When my alarm went off this morning at 5:30 AM, I
groaned. Had spent a bit too much time at a holiday
party last night. I only mention this because a) I do
not suggest hiking on 4 hrs of sleep  b) The blintzes
were really good last night. Hiking and food ALWAYS go
together in the same story.

Anyway, once properly fueled with the requisite amount
of coffee we were on our way to the trailhead.  We
were the only people at the winter trailhead at 8 AM.
Put on the snowshoes and hiked on our way.  Had to
break trail once at the base of Mt. Audubon.  After
about two miles of this, hit treeline. Off came the
snowshoes (yaaay!).  Hiked to the top of the mountain
where it was fairly warm with little wind.  The usual
good views of the snowy mountains of the divide.
Finally made the summit during winter. It was also my
first time at this high of an altitude (13K ft) since
June....

Slurpped my thermos full of mochoa (mmmmm), hiked back
down and made the car just before sunset. At 5 PM,
looked like there was only one other car at the same
winter trailhead.  Looks like most of the crowds were
missed today.

Another wonderful winter day.

=====