[at-l] Layering Question

I used the following layers for March/April, starting closest to the
skin [a right good place to start! :)] and showing the warmest combo of
all [you then can play with the layer combos as called for by the
weather and your activity level]:

1)  Lightweight, longsleeved polypro top and polypro boxer/briefs below;
switch boxer/briefs to lightweight long undies (polypro) if really cold
- but just remember that if you start walking in long undies in the cold
of the morning, there ain't no easy way to get them off when your
exertion warms you up later in the day;

2)  My ancient Nike ACG med weight longsleeved pullover [roughly
equivalent to a very lightweight, smooth weave, fleece pullover], plus
my Zoic hiking shorts below;

3)  My ancient, extremely lightweight down vest;

4)  My Moonstone 200 wt fleece jacket [make sure you avoid any cotton
trim on the cuffs or collar of whatever fleece jacket(s) you use]; and

5)  My lightweight Sierra Designs rain jacket and Red Ledge rain pants
below.

Regarding the above, some personal practical pointers:

1)  Lots of folks like the zip on/off pants/shorts - I don't like long
pants at all - I hiked in near zero weather in nothing more below the
waist than a pair of lightweight polypro long undies plus my Zoic
shorts.  If the wind was screaming, I then would put on the Red Ledge
rain pants as a final layer - this system works well because if you get
the full zip rain pants [highly recommended], you can fairly easily pull
on and pull off that layer, without having to completely dress/undress.

2)  A down vest to me is an awesome layering device - they are extremely
light, compactable, and yet when used as an inside layer, they provide
huge amounts of insulation value.  If getting wet scares you, a fleece
vest works well, too - but just does not have the puffy full insulating
value that a down vest does . . .

3)  I also carried a pair of very lightweight fleece pants to pull on
when stopping for the day - peel off the wet stuff you walked in, pull
on those dry, fuzzy fleece pants, and a dry polypro undershirt covered
by the Moonstone med. wt. fleece jacket, and I was set - and then, of
course, get in your sleeping bag if it is a killer cold evening [again,
I recommend a down bag for March/April months].

4)  The old saying that if your feet are cold, put a hat on is very
true; I like fleece toboggans - less itch than wool, lighter weight, and
they compact a bit more easily.

5)  A couple extra pair of dry socks are a wondrous thing in the winter, to=

Hope this helps!

thru-thinker

Alison Allen wrote:

> --
> I'll start my AT thru-hike in early April 2003. Let me know what
> your opinions are about layering for that time of year in Georgia. I
> know I will need a base wicking layer, an insulating layer (fleece),
> and a windbreaker.
>
> What I'm trying to sort out is the insulating layer. Here are the
> options I've narrowed it down to:
>
> --one 100 wt fleece pullover
> --one 200 wt jacket or pullover
> --both a 100 wt pullover and a 200 wt jacket--I would
> send the 200 wt home when no longer needed
> --2 100 wt fleeces, one a pullover and the other a jacket
>
> Please let me know what you think. If you have other ideas about a
> layering system, feel free to list those. I posted this same request on t=
he backpackinglight yahoo group and received a lot of really helpful respon=
ses. Just curious to see what you think. Thanks in advance for the help!