[at-l] Tirade or Truth

Damn, I'd hoped to stay outta this after two extended posts, but a post as
patently ridiculous as Roks' latest missive deserves some comment; one is
tempted to ignore such things, but unfortunately it leaves the authors of
these letters  under the mistaken impression that a lack of response is
tantamount to an admission that the statements made were true---this
inevitably results in further ridiculous correspondence from the same
source..... so, I'm afraid I have to reply:

   First, off, Roks speaks of Trailplace's creator, and refers to his
"ultra-orthodox, yet sound, Trail approach..."

   Gee Roks, does this include fudging his own hiking resume and then having
the unmitigated gall to sit and pass judgment on who has actually thru-hiked
and who has not?  Gimme a break, Roks!   Remember his announcement of the
"Myron Avery Society", Roks?  Lemme refresh you.   In an attemot to do an
end run around the ATC, which he felt had dropped the ball, and was giving
out 2000-miler patches too easily, WF decided to create a new group
(overseen entirely by himself, naturally!) which would be the new arbiter of
who had actually done a complete thru, and who actually deserved a patch and
completion certificate.  WF felt that the ATC was too loose in handing out
these accolades, and this matter was best left to an ardent Trail
tradionalist, like himself.

   Funny thing, tho, Roks.  Right around the time the Avery Society was
grandly announced, there started to be some widespread commentary and
speculation over the genuineness and completeness of some of WF's OWN hikes,
as well as his other "accomplishments", such as the ones mentioned in his
self-written autobiography.  (By the way, Roks, even tho I mentioned half a
dozen glaring problems with this self-authored hosanna, you've yet to come
up with anything I said that you can refute or prove wrong---why is this, I
wonder?   Any ideas?)  Anyway, shortly after people started discussing Mr.
Traditionalist's OWN right to flaunt seven 2000-mile patches, guess what?
The Avery Society kinda disappeared.  Gee, Roks, why is that?  Could it
possibly have anything to do with the utter ludicrousness of someone with an
embellished trail history attempting to pass judgment on who's a real
thru-hiker and who isn't???

   Yet you insist on mentioning his "ultra-orthodox, yet sound, Trail
approach.  Just for the pure hell of it, Roks, I looked up "orthodox" in the
Oxford English Dictionary.  It means "Holding right or correct opinions,
i.e. such as are currently accepted as correct; or are in accordance with
some recognized standard."   Earth to Roks:  There is nothing, and I repeat,
NOTHING orthodox or traditional about exaggerating your accomplishments in
your chosen field in order to achieve or maintain an exalted position in
that field, and for someone who has done this to then try and sit in
judgment on the genuineness and worth of OTHER'S accomplishments---well,
this is obscene.

   Let's move on to another outrageous statement:  You said that "The reason
the media contacts WF to quote on Trail matters is because he has made the
effort to be there."

   Be where, Roks?  On the Trail?  Not since 1992, he hasn't.  Your phrasing
leaves a little to be desired.  The real reason the media contacts WF, Roks,
is because he's repeatedly sent out comments, letters, and press releases,
which include his alleged history of accomplishments and achievements, and
which also mention his supervision of that august organization, The Center
for Appalachian Trail Studies.  This is done solely to establish his
"credentials" that would then validate his right to speak for the Trail.
Unfortunately, the media folks at the receiving end of this self-promotional
blitz are unaware of the holes in the man's record; are unaware that has
essentially done no long distance backpacking in a decade; are unaware that
he has no affiliation or connection whatsoever with established reputable
Trail organizations and information sources such as the Appalachian Trail
Conference or the Appalachian Long-Distance Hiker's Association; and here's
my favorite---they have absolutely no clue that the "Center for A.T.
Studies" consists solely of one man, a couple of filing cabinets, some
five-and-dime letterhead stationery, and a computer.
    It might SOUND very authoritative, Roks, but the reality is that there
is no staff, no organization, no Center.  It's all smoke and mirrors, all in
order so that WF can maintain some semblance of authority when speaking on
Trail matters or attempting to speak for the Trail Community.

    Lastly, Roks, you finish up by saying that people look to WF and speak
to him "because there is no other such voice."

    In a letter filled with silly statements, this one takes the cake.
There are A TON of good voices out there, Roks.  The Trail is a lot bigger
than just one man, and always has been.  There are all sorts of folks out
there, Roks,  who are providing information for hikers and planners; who
offer the public the opportunity to take part in Interactive discussions of
the Trail on websites they volunteer to pay for; who take part in Trail
advocacy and protection campaigns; who contribute to or write Guidebooks;
who meet with and correspond with prospective hikers and offer their aid and
advice; who contribute to the Trail in all sorts of ways.  For you to say
that there is no other voice is absurd.

   The difference, Roks, is that none of these other people seem so obsessed
with maintaining their place in the trail firmament; no one else has taken
it upon themselves to claim to speak for all thru-hikers; no one else has
spent so much time carping and complaining about such organizations as ATC
and ALDHA and impeding and denigrating their work; no one else pretends to
be running a complete organizational center geared to the Trail; no one else
sends out self-serving and innacurate press-releases and announcements that
serve primarily to convince people who don't know better that their author
is actually a person of authority; no one else runs an allegedly interactive
website that is as tightly controlled and regulated as the Iraqi press; no
one else has the nerve to speak with such authority and stridency about the
contemporary trail without having actually been on it in a decade.

    I could go on, Roks, but I'm not sure there's any point, and in any
case, I'm getting sick of this discussion, as I'm sure other folks are as
well.

    If you want to keep this man in your Trail Pantheon, Roks, go ahead.
But please, for the luvva God, stop trying to convince the rest of us to do
likewise.  You seem to think that this man speaks with truth, conviction,
and righteousness from a bully pulpit.  You're missing the point, Roks:  The
voice from the pulpit is loud, earnest, serious, and always speaks with
authority.  Unfortunately neither the speaker nor his few remaining acolytes
realize that the effort is wasted---the sermons still ring out, but the
congregation left a long time ago.  Glory Hallelujah!!

    And excuse me, Roks, having said this, I'll move on.  You wanna continue
this thread, you'll haveta do it without me.