[at-l] OT: Australia and New Zealand info sought

--- Mara Factor <m_factor@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'll 99% sure I'll be spending the (northern
> hemisphere) winter in Australia
> and New Zealand (summer).  Woohoo!!!

Hi Mara,

Don't know about Australia, but hiking in New Zealand
was awesome!  I used the Lonely Planet New Zealand
guide - it contained all the info on the NZ hiking
trails.  Most of the best hiking trails (called Tracks
in NZ) are on the South Island.  The trails are run by
the NZ Department of Conservation (DOC), website:
www.doc.govt.nz.

The most outstanding trail is the Milford Track
(http://www.doc.govt.nz/Explore/002~Tracks-and-Walks/Great-Walks/Milford-Track/index.asp).
 Supposedly you need to make reservations well in
advance, but I got a reservation when I got on the
South Island.  I'd have to say that the Milford Track
just barely beats out Glacier NP and the Wind River
range for the most beautiful trail in the world.

The DOC tracks have huts with bunks, flush toilets,
and Bunsen burners to cook.  The Routeburn and Kepler
tracks were also gorgeous.  Queenstown was the closest
town to a lot of the hiking region.

Other activities in NZ are bungee jumping and
abseiling (sp?).  There was bungee jumping places all
over NZ, and the watching was as fun as the jumping.
In NZ they call rappelling abseiling.

Another place I hiked in NZ was Stewart Island, which
is south of the South Island.  They have a 3-day and
12 day hike on the island.  Stewart Island was sort of
a Nantucket meets the Appalachian Trail.  Part of the
hike goes along the coast.  I hiked there during a
storm and high tide.  That stretch along the coast in
that weather was the most frightening trail section
I've ever been on.  I thought I'd be swept out to sea.

Have a great trip.

Camel AT 98
Starman PCT 00
Tim CDT 02